Monday 2 June 2014

端午节快乐

I couldn't figure out which English translation of "端午节" was the right one, so please take your pick folks! There is Dragon Boat Festival, Chinese Dumpling Festival, Rice Dumpling Festival, Dumpling Festival, and Double Fifth Festival. For me, Dumpling Festival is most apt.


Today is when prices of dumplings / ba zhang / 粽子 (zong zi) are most likely at their peak. It's also the day where people can show off their homemade ba zhangs, i.e. people like me. Haha! Please don't ask me for a sample; It's the process and accomplishment that I'm after in ba zhang making, not the "you want? I ownself make one" kind of feeling.

that's about 80 leaves, all soaked/dried/repeat and clean

1kg of glutinous rice and 800g of roughly minced layer pork

getting all the ba zhang ingredients cooked & ready for ba zhang wrapping!

TADA! Chinese Dumplings / Rice Dumplings / 粽子 / ba zhang / what ever you want to call it


I thoroughly enjoyed the fruits / ba zhangs of my Saturday morning labour. Whoo whee! *burp* Oops, 'scuse me. (。・▽・。)ゞ



Happy Dumpling Festival~

No comments:

Post a Comment