Monday 30 December 2013

Skinny Pizza, what a crack.

Double dinner date with Shirley, a friend I made (years ago) at a pushcart she was working at. It was a random encounter back then. We lost touch with each other when school kicked in and we both got real busy. But thanks to instagram (and a couple of my Christmas bakes), we made time for dinner at Raffles City's Skinny Pizza.


It was our first visit to Skinny Pizza and we had high hopes. Jer & I had especially high hopes, too high for Skinny Pizza I would think. Jer's vegetarian (eggs & dairy products are okay), so we decided to get mushroom soup, roasted pumpkin salad, & a meatball pizza with the meatballs on the side. Here's how they look like.

As a mushroom soup lover, this bowl of portobello mushroom soup did not have a single hint of portobello in it. The soup tasted like blended mushroom with large amounts of cream. It was probably blended for quite some time because of all the tiny air bubbles in it. This soup was a challenge to swallow. It's only saving grace is the super duper soft slice of bread that came along with it.

Portobello Mushroom Soup - $7

Next came the salad. I had to stop the waiter from putting the dish on the table because I thought he was at the wrong table. Only after he told us that it was the pumpkin salad we ordered that it hit me.. "that's not crayfish, that's pumpkin with its skin on!" ( ̄□ ̄;)!!

Macadamia Crusted Pumpkin Salad - $12

Looking like some dried up desert with pitiful amounts of greens, I couldn't tell if this was an actual salad, or just the salad dressing. But congratulations Skinny Pizza, you've shown me an all new level to salads.

Macadamia Crusted Pumpkin Salad with an estimate of 10 rocket greens
not sure if this is supposed to be a salad or an appetizer

You'd think the soup & salad would have prepared us for the pizza that followed after. The pizza made an awkward entrance with a very grumpy looking waiter who didn't even bother asking us how many slices we'd like our pizza to be cut in. So we had 6 slices and meatballs on the side. The first meatball was good. The second was nice. The third was a little off. The fourth started to taste odd. Then the fifth was just plain weird. *grimace* & I couldn't stomach any more odd meatballs. ( /)ะด(\ )

Meatball Napolitana - $24

Shirley & her bf, Kenny, ordered the pasta version of my meatball pizza. I didn't get a photo of the pasta, but it's al dente with the same kind of sauce & magic meatballs that gets a little weird once you've had one too many.
They ordered a pizza to share between themselves as well. A cod fish pizza with no trace of cod fish. We inspected the menu's description of the pizza & found it to be a puree of salt cod, potato, garlic, and assorted herbs. At least, that's what the menu states. But like what Kenny said, they could use any kind of fish and he wouldn't know. Shirley did say it tasted like salted egg though. *laughs*

Cod Fish Pizza - $26

After finishing our food (too expensive to not finish), I noticed their caption "What a crack." & I have to agree Skinny Pizza, truly, what a crack.


My conclusion, the Portobello Mushroom Soup was barely worth $7 for a bowl full of cream and air. The Macadamia Crusted Pumpkin Salad was a sorry excuse for a salad costing $12. And the pizzas, definitely not worth $24 / $26.

I have my doubts after this first experience, but don't let my opinions get you down. If you love thin crust pizzas this place might be worth a shot for you. My colleagues recommend their English Breakfast Pizza, & I did enjoy their $6 pot of Apple Chamomile Tea (limited to 3 hot water refills).

But yes, you won't be seeing me at Skinny Pizza. haha..



a once in a lifetime & never again

No comments:

Post a Comment