Monday 10 February 2014

Charlie Brown Café

Snoopy and Friends! I remember when McDonald's had hundreds of Snoopy figures for collecting. My dad would get them for me and when Macs' released up to 200+ designs (I think), it was too much. There was simply no space to put them on display, so they wound up in my aunt's display case. Eventually, I believe they were given away, one after the other. ~(´⌒`~)

It was my love for Snoopy (and Woodstock) from my memories that drew me to the Charlie Brown Cafe. Walking by and seeing that sculpture of Snoopy always made me want to dine there. I don't have a good photo of it, so you just have to take a peek yourself when you're at 313@Somerset.


Putting my love for Snoopy aside, this is where I realized my foolishness. I have never thought the day would come when I would taste an all new level of "mushroom soup". What Charlie Brown Cafe served wasn't mushroom soup. At least it didn't taste that way to me or J. The soup tasted off & nothing like mushrooms. It was like hot water but with a truly foul aftertaste. I was shocked at my first spoonful. Took a second spoonful, hoping my tongue was wrong (ha! It only made me queasy). A third spoonful simply in disbelieve that something like this can be served as mushroom soup!



There was a lunch set menu that I didn't see on their website, but it includes a drink and the above mentioned "mushroom soup". I don't recall the actual name or the price, but I know this was called Teriyaki Chicken (with mushroom sauce I think). Not that the name matters, because this dish was super salty! It was disappointing because it tasted as though teriyaki sauce was mixed with soy sauce and promptly dumped with some canned button mushrooms all over a slightly charred piece of chicken. The skin of the chicken was bitter but the meat inside was nicely done, as though they cooked up this dish in a hurry. But there wasn't any other customers apart from J and I. *sigh*

Teriyaki Chicken - don't remember the price..

J had their really spicy Spaghetti Aglio Olio. I didn't taste it because J's lips were burning up from the spiciness. I don't take chili, so when someone who does take chili says the dish is spicy, I steer clear of it! J said the dish was alright, nothing special. ╮(´~`)╭

Spaghetti Aglio Olio - $9.80

The conclusion at the end of the meal, was to never be taken in simply by the name of the eatery. Even powdered mushroom soup is several times better than what they served. This place is one that's best when you just snap pictures of it and walk away. Even though I've heard good reviews about their pancakes, I have also heard of their drop in food standards.
To eat or not to eat, it'll be your own gamble and risk to take.



Goodness gracious me!

No comments:

Post a Comment