Monday 29 May 2017

Dragon Boat Festival

Otherwise known as dumpling making season, hahaha! I didn't manage to make any dumplings/ba zhang for the past 2 years as I was overseas during the dumpling season. So this year, I made up for all of that.

Dumplings all wrapped up and ready to be boiled!

Here's the challenge. I didn't know how much of each ingredient I should get. So I wound up getting..
- 2 packets of 50pcs of leaves (fresh vacuum sealed from sheng shiong)
- 2.5kg glutinous rice (cooked a little over 2kg)
- 2.5kg lean pork (used 2kg)
- 400g dried chestnuts (only 2/3 were good)
- 140g fried onions
- 3 garlic bulbs
- 5 small onions
- 1 ball of raffia (also from sheng shiong)



Boy did I regret preparing that much rice. It was like a magic wok, NEVER ending supply of rice. Even without mushrooms and heibi, It was way too much rice! I wound up having to get more chestnuts and leaves, and I had to wrap seventy nine dumplings.



Now before I forget the lessons I've learned, next time I'll get the following..
- 2 packets of 50pcs of leaves (fresh vacuum sealed from sheng shiong)
- 1kg glutinous rice
- 1kg lean pork
- 600g mince meat
- 200g dried chestnuts
- 140g fried onions
- 2 garlic bulbs, minced
- 5 small onions, sliced
- cotton twine

And as for the seasoning..
Meat (marinate overnight)
- 4 tbsp light sauce
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp five spice powder
- 3 tsp salt
- 2 tsp white pepper

Rice (soak for 2 hours in the morning on the day)
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp five spice powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp white pepper

Chestnut (1 day in advance)
Boil with 4tbsp sugar for 1 hour.

That should make about 40 dumplings. hehe! Can't wait for next year's dumpling making season!



all wrapped up here.. *grin*

No comments:

Post a Comment